Airport Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghsNick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I currently have a Verizon Fios WiFi kit they gave me for my wireless network but I'm looking to join the Airport family. I have a lot of questions since I'm not experienced so some help would be appreciated.

I have a 2011 iMac with 802.11n WiFi, everything runs off of it. I have a thunderbolt drive hooked up to it which contains my iTunes Library. I have another external hard drive hooked up through FireWire to back up my iMac and iTunes library.

I plan on buying an Apple TV pretty soon and streaming content over from my iMac to the Apple TV. It's really coming from the Thunderbolt drive > iMac > Apple TV.

I was looking at the airport express and it seemed like the right option for myself. Living in a smaller house and between me and my girlfriend we would only have our devices connected or it.

1) Does the Express seem like a good option for myself? Or do I need something with faster speed?

I know 802.11ac is faster but my iMac is 802.11n so it seems pointless to upgrade, unless I'm planning for the future when I get a new Mac device? Is it really that much faster?

2) Will I need my Verizon Wifi box with the Express? Or can I just replace the Verizon Box with the Express?

Thanks for the help guys.

2. 50voltphantom, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

50voltphantom macrumors regular

50voltphantom

1) The Express will likely work just fine for your needs. Placement will likely impact speed more than anything.

2)If the Wifi box also acts as a modem, then yes, you will still need it, just turn off the wifi function on it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you say Verizon Wifi Box, I am assuming your modem/router. It should have a coax cable running out the back. If it does that is your modem and cannot be removed from the equation. Just turn off the wireless router as 50voltphantom had said.

The Express is a great little router! The Extreme will offer slightly better speed, despite your iMac being N. The difference will be negligible in real world browsing. I would say just get the Express and you should be fine.