Airport question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jfoley89, Jul 7, 2017.

1. jfoley89 macrumors regular

so, not sure where to put this question. I've tried searching but found no real results. Please move if in the wrong place

I have a AirPort Extreme and a AirPort Express. Here is what I want to do.

The extreme is at one end of the house, plugged into the modem.

I want to run a cable from the Extreme to the Express(on other side of house) to have 2 wireless access points on the same network, is this possible?

I currently have the Express in the middle of my house in bridge mode, but it doesn't seem to cover the remainder of the house. Was thinking if I could wire it to have one on either side of the house it could potentially cover the whole house with wifi?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just wondering, is your "modem" actually a "residential gateway" -- by that I mean a -combined- modem/router?

If so, you'd probably do better to run the AExtreme in "bridge mode" (that is, let the gateway do the NAT).

Then, you might be able to connect the AExpress by ethernet, and set it up to "extend the network"? (also in bridge mode).

Not even sure this is possible, I have only one AExtreme.

It's getting to the point where if you have a lot of square footage, the new "mesh" type routers (non-Apple, of course) may offer better solutions for whole-house coverage...