AirPort question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hikeNM, Nov 12, 2007.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

Here's the short version of my situation. I've finally found a way for me to get high speed internet using Sprint's broadband USB wireless card. (Yea, yea, I know. Get off the floor and quit laughing. I live well off any beaten path.)

Anyhoo, as it stands, I have dial-up using my AirPort. My question is, will there be any way for me to use Sprint's USB card with the AirPort directly?

If not, is it possible to use Sprint's card with my G5 and run a Cat 5 cable from the G5 to the AirPort and then broadcast the internet in that manner?

I really am excited about finally having high speed, but will be bummed if it means only having high speed on one computer in the house.

Thanks in advance

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That is very possible and quite easy to set up. Your only hurdle will be whether the card is compatible with Macs. :)

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems to be. The specs say it is.

I knew that its possible to run a cat 5 cable from the AirPort to "receive" the internet when the Airport is dialed up. I just didn't know if it was possible to "send" the internet from one computer to the AirPort and then broadcast to other computers from the AirPort.

Thanks

4. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it as simple as running a wire from the computer to the Airport?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Pretty much. Enable internet sharing on your ethernet port on the Mac and you should be right. Sorry to take so long to get back to you, mate. :)