Airport Range, confused

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nunes013, Jun 22, 2011.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

I have an airport extreme and express. The express is configured to extend the range. The settings are both are wireless n only at 2.4 ghz. wpa2 personal.

the extreme is on one side of my house and the express is in the middle to reach the other end. i use these in college when i am there as my parents have uverse and therefore have their own router.

last year when i was home on break it reached the other edge of the house but this year it doesnt. we just recently switched to uverse while i was away so could the two routers being next to each other effect the range or performance? the att router is wireless g it that helps. i thought the extreme could cover the entire house as my house is only 50 ft but it reaches about 35 which is why i use the express. and also when i am next to the express extending i only get about half the wifi bars filled. thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes having them next to each other can cause interference. wireless G is also 2.4 GHz

several things can influence your wireless range.
    the number of walls.
    the construction of your walls - for example old plaster walls with chicken wire in them are fairly solid as far as wi-fi is concerned.
    the angle you're going through walls - going though a wall at a 90 deg angle makes the wall appear much thinner than going through at a really shallow angle.
    other sources of RF in the same area, microwave ovens, baby monitors, cordless phones (other base stations)

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

i knew about the walls and ours arent too thick. we recently got a microcell (1 foot away) and my airport express is under the microwave (awesome place for all this :D). i guess the mix of another router and microcell is causing it. the only reason i use the airport at home is because of the usb (att doesnt have one on theirs) and i use it for an external hard disk.

i guess i will have to live with it for another 2 months until college. not that big of a deal but i was wondering what was going on. thanks for all your help!!:)