airport range extenders

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marcmac, Sep 14, 2007.

1. marcmac macrumors newbie

hello,

I recently moved about 3 blocks away from my parents house and i was wondering if either of these two products would help me access my parents wifi connection since im not up for steeling any of my neigbours and costing them money.

1. Super Cantenna @ 40.00$ + the hawkin USB G adaptor @ 60.00$ to total 100.00$

or

2. the Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Dish Network Adapter for OSX 75.00 +/-

ive read a couple of review on the cantenna and it seems that the range is pretty good but i havnt seem anything on the hawkings dish... its even sold out in all the stores i checked and i only found it on ebay but it looks like a quality product.

Ill try to add links later,

any feedback would be great!

thanks,

Macbook C2D 2.0

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Exactly how far away are you and what sort of wireless router do your parents have? I personally don't think either of these'll be up to the job. :eek:

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

you are going to have to set up a point to point link, with some Parabolic Antenna's and you are gonna need a clear line of site, 3 blocks should be pretty easy.
    I'm in the middle of the same thing, cept I'm going 10 miles. my antenna's have to be 70' up to get the clear los

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Like X1Lightning said, you can do this with powered, directional antennas if you have clear line of sight. People were doing that "back in the day" when they lived in rural places near cities and could not get broadband internet....