Airport Range not powerful enough, help on improving my network/range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by speekez, Mar 24, 2010.

1. speekez macrumors 6502

Hi All

So I have one of the Apple Airport Extreme base station units -- the older oval shaped ones, I think G -- not the newer square style. The range of the unit was fine when I lived in a one story apartment, but we have since moved into a newer place with two floors. The Airport base station is upstairs in the computer room. I find when using a laptop downstairs, the wireless signal is weak to intermittent to none. I suspect this is a range issue.

How can I extend my range? I know there is a port on the back of the Airport to add an antennae, but I haven't been able to locate this product. Are there other ways to extend the range? Would I be better upgrading to the newer Airport base station -- does it send out a stronger signal? Would up upgrade to the basestation + range extender be best?

Basically, how can I improve the home network?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could do two things. Get an Airport Express for US$99 and set it up to work in a WDS network with the Extreme. This will turn it into a repeater of sorts. Or you could try a new Extreme. US$179. A bonus with the Express is being able to play music over the network to it with AirTunes. If your in need of saving money I would suggest the Express in a WDS setup.