Airport/Router Problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dave Braine, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm having problems with my Intel Mini and my home network/internet connection. I've got iStumbler and KisMac. iStumbler shows a signal strength of between 15 and 25% with the Mini in the lounge: two stud walls and about 20 feet from the router. It doesn't show any of my neighbour's routers. KisMac shows all the local routers and the signal strength for mine keeps flicking between 0 and 15% in the ratio of about 10 seconds at 0, and 1 second at 15%.

If I move the Mini to within 3 feet of the router, the signal strength goes to 50%, but KisMac still shows it flicking on and off. Isn't a 50% signal strength a bit low that close to the router?

If it is, that would indicate to me, along with the flicking signal, and the almost lack of ability for the Mini to get an internet connection, that I have a problem with the router.

However, my other Mini, MacBook and iPhone connect without any problems, which would seem to show an Airport problem with the Mini.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

If everything else is connecting to and communicating well with the Airport, look to the Mini. Make sure the mini is fully updated (including firmware) as some of them have had wireless issues which were generally resolved.

I'm not too certain about average statistics for programs like iStumbler, so I'll leave that to someone else. I don't get more than 60-70% standing right next to my AirPort and 40-50% across the house is more than adequate for exceptional communication. Noise matters too, though.

3. Dave Braine thread starter macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Thanks. Nothing comes up on Software Update apart from 10.6.6, which I haven't got around to installing yet.

4. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

Hmm

I would suggest looking at using channels 1, 6 or 11..

This may be complete rubbish, but I worked with a few wireless surveyor companies who look at offices and advise on what problems are likely to crop up. One of the main things they pointed out is although WAP's have the ability to run channel's 1 - 13 or more, there are only three channels that are actually available and should be used. Other channels may work, but more often they dont.

So in this case, I suggest looking at either channel 1, 6 or 11 and see if that helps.

Other things to look out for are placement - WAP's like to be away from walls and Interference ie microwaves and wireless home phones.

Hope this helps!