Airport Security - batteries out of speed light?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PkennethV, Jul 28, 2008.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

This is the first time that I will be traveling with a speed light. Should I take out the 4 rechargeable double-A batteries and put them in the suitcase? Or will it be fine just leaving it in the flash unit?

thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Leave them in. Security will most likely ask you to turn the camera on.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've traveled with my D2H/D3, lenses, flash (SB-800 with batteries), chargers etc (including internationally) in a Computrekker for years. My iPod in there too. I have to take the Macbook Pro out of the thing before it goes through the scanner, but otherwise I've never even had US TSA ask me to open the bag.

5. HomeingPigeon macrumors regular

Same. I just went through the airport today coming to seattle. It is freezying here people. I used my camera bag as one of my carry on bags. It just went through the scanner and no one blinked an eye. Just take out your laptop and you should be fine.

6. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Standard alkaline, LiOn, NiCad batteries are totally kosher in carryons. Checked is another issue, and covered here a few months ago. Lead-acid is another story altogether ;)

Rarely will TSA need to examine photographic gear. I carry mine (body and a couple lenses for travel) on a semi-regular basis and they couldn't care less.

Remember that if you still use film that anything at or above ISO 800 should be hand-inspected (not allowed through x-ray). They're very understanding about it.