Airport Security Scan and Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Boca, May 3, 2009.

1. Boca macrumors 6502

Hi all, went through an airport security scan with macbook. Fully charged, kept in soft case, placed in plastic tray box. One hour before at hotel all worked fine.
    Ten minutes after scan try to start macbook (on battery power) and it would launch to desktop screen then shut down. Tried 3-4 times same issue (like if the battery were dead)
    Hooked up to power cord and same issue.

I was in Europe when this happened. Got back to the US (8 hrs later) tried...same issues.

Took out the battery, replaced same, and let it charge over night.

Now it is working. HOWEVER when I go to bookmarks and try and link to ANY mac site I have bookmarked I get sent to a mostly blank white page with an ad in the upper right corner.

Could be related to other issue or just something different.

This issue with the charge/operation after going through security scan has happened once or twice before.

Any thoughts, advice help greatly appreciated.

2. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You mean just putting it through the carry-on scanner?

I've never seen that before. The laptop never left your sight other then going through the machine?

4. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, put it through the scanner and kept my eye on it. This has happened 3 times over the past year.

Fully charged.
    Worked perfect 2 hrs before airport scan.
    Issue as stated within 20 mins of scan.

5. denver133 macrumors member

I just got back from Europe (Budapest) and my new alum. macbook went through more security then I wished. It has worked fine after each location. Maybe on your bookmarks, the wireless is running really slow and not loading everything?

6. Boca thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Denver. I think I really messed up my mac. In a rush to solve the problem I app zapped Firefox and downloaded a new copy. Well, all of my bookmarks are now gone. I have not time machined a back up so I guess I am going to have to rebuild all those BMarks I don't have now. Unless someone has a solution.
    Lots of work sites lost and I am really depressed.
    Thanks anyone who can offer a solution. I have learned my lesson about backing up!
    Wish Mac had a restore point like PC.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I does, but you have to set it up via Time Machine. Once you get it set up, it's far, far easier.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Good lesson to learn... always backup.

Time Machine is a very slick, built-in system - but you do have to turn it on and supply a hard drive (or networked drive that fully supports the Mac's HFS+ file system) for it to do its job.

For things like Firefox bookmarks, there are a few 3rd party extensions that will sync your bookmarks to the "cloud" so you'll always have access to them. MobileMe for Safari users is also handy.