AirPort: self-assigned IP problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lenisik, Sep 14, 2010.

1. lenisik macrumors newbie

I would like to find a definitive solution to the following problem.

My AirPort is regularly (and randomly) getting stuck, getting a self-assigned IP address and not being able to connect to the internet. The problem happens mostly, but not only, with my home connection. I run Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I usually manage to fix it, using one of the following solutions, or all at the same time:
    - turn off and on AirPort in System Preferences > Network
    - remove the folder SystemConfiguration in /Library/Preferences/ and restart
    - resetting PRAM and NVRAM by restarting and holding down the keys cmd+opt+P+R (I am not sure this is useful, but seemed to work for me a few times)
    - resetting the wireless router

Anyone out there who knows what the actual cause to this problem is? and if there exists a definitive fix to it?

I would be most grateful

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

The only way I have found to fix this is to manually assign an IP address rather then having it auto setup using DHCP.

Why it does this, I don't know for me it only happens on one computer and none of the others.

Cheers

3. lenisik thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sneuppmann macrumors newbie

And how do I do to manually assign an Ip Adress? I can only connect one computer at once at home. Before was no problem to conect many at the same time but now if I have two computers on only one works.

5. crypticlineage macrumors regular

You can assign a static ip address to your Airport card through the router settings.

1. Type "ifconfig" in a terminal window to find alphanumeric mac address of the Airport card.

2. Connect to the user interface page of your router (usually 192.168.1.1 in a browser) and manually assign an available ip address as static address for this Airport card.