Airport self install in new Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Analog Kid, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Anybody have any experience doing an Airport self install on the new Mac Pros? I let some punk at the Apple store convince me that Airport came standard in the machine, and now that I've brought it home they tell me I have to surrender the machine for 2 days to get the card installed...

2. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Apparently not... Let me break the question into two:
    --Does anyone know where the Airport slot is inside the case?
    --Does anyone know if Apple can track what modifications have been made by them or others?

I'm getting the "invalidates your warranty" line from the Apple Store....

3. DWS macrumors member

Seems strange you can't self install an Airport Card in a Mac Pro.
    It was a User Install in the iMac G4.

4. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

It is possible. Just note that the airport card in the 2007 Mac Pro machines is NOT the same one that you would install in the 2008 Mac Pro's.

The biggest hangup in doing this is the small antenna wires that you have to deal with. If you are careful, and have the proper instructions, I don't see this as being too difficult.

5. sturob macrumors regular

Interesting. I didn't realize that the Airport/WiFi wasn't standard either. I ordered my MP last week (a little slow on the uptake, I know); the AppleStore said at first they could add it no problem, but then said that since I'd already been charged for AppleCare, they couldn't add it. So they took $105 off the price of the system, so that I can take it to the AppleStore and get them to do it.

Weird, but I guess it's OK.

Stuart

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I am facing having to do the same thing later this week.

Those who know what's best for us, must rise & save us from ourselves.
    "Peart"

7. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

8. mikekim75 macrumors newbie

whats different?

I took the one out of the old MP and put it in the new MP and am using it now to post. Works fine though.

9. PodPacker macrumors regular

PodPacker

How About This Card

Seeing as how my post got no responses, it's good that I could find it on a new post.

I found this card online:

http://www.yourmacstore.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=592

I am waiting on ordering till the end of the month, I'm thinking that I may just keep it wired. If you guys get good instructions on installing the card, please post.

10. ntux macrumors member

The airport cards aren't the same in the two mac pros ?
    I planed to swap the one from my quad 2.8GHz (in transit) with the one inside my MBP CD 1.83 to get n wifi in it. Would such a swap still be possible ?

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm pretty sure no. The insides of a Mac Pro are not the same as the insides of a MacBook Pro.

12. mikekim75 macrumors newbie

Yes I did it and am using it now to post this, I didnt know they were different though until today. I want to find out whats different cause the old fits fine in the new MP

13. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I got an airport card (for 2008 MP) two days ago from an apple reseller and I intalled it myself. The antenna connectors are quite small, but apart from it it's an easy install. (Hint: Remove the HDs for more space)
    It works flawlessly so far (unlike the USB solution I had before which caused random kernel panics)

14. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

The card is difficult to buy for some obscure reason. I managed to get one online here in Spain and the installation, although fiddly, is pretty easy. The only problem I had was that as my MAC PRO was a first edition on the antennas were labeled incorrectly. That should have been resolved now.