airport set up question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by webgoat, Jul 24, 2009.

1. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i am interested in purchasing an airport extreme and an airport express but want to know if what i'm planning to do will work as i expect. the extreme will obviously be my main base station and the express will be the remote base station extending the network. from what i understand, the dual band feature of the airport extreme means i can have my iphone and macbook pro connecting to the network with my mbp getting 802.11n signal and the iphone the 802.11g? the iphone connecting at 802.11g will not bring my whole network down to that? if that is the case, will having the express extending the network disable that ability since the express does not have the dual band feature? lastly, is the ethernet port on the express only for bringing internet in? if the express is a WDS relay router can i then run an ethernet cable from it to my xbox360 and have my xbox join the network?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You can run the Airport Express as you mentioned, but it is not recommended. Just wire your Xbox 360 directly to your Extreme, or buy a wireless adapter.

When the Express is "extending" the network, it is actually creating another wireless access point separate from the main wireless network. Devices connected to either will be part of the same network, but each wireless network is isolated.

3. webgoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

webgoat

thanks for the quick response... the reason i was hoping to use the express with my 360 was cause its pretty far away from my office where i was going to have my extreme setup. i wanted the express to be connected behind my television to bring airtunes to my home theater setup as well as internet to my 360 to avoid the ripoff that the xbox360 wireless adapter is. i'm pretty excited about using the iphone remote app to control my itunes via airtunes over my living room speakers