Airport Setup Assistant Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kerisimasi, Aug 16, 2007.

1. kerisimasi macrumors member

Hello all, i have searched and searched and still can't find an answer to my questions. I am trying to setup airport express with my speakers (airtunes)... I have an airport extreme base station (802.11n) and it works just fine with my MBP and my wife's MB. When I start AirPort Setup assistant....

"In order to use the AirPort Setup Assistant your AirPort card must be enabled and AirPort needs to be turned on and set to use DHCP. Click OK if you would like to change these settings, or Skip if you would like to configure AirPort Base Stations using ethernet."

when I click OK, the following comes up:

"There was an error communicating with your AirPort card. Please make sure it is installed properly and try the AirPort Setup Assistant again."

I have Airport Disk Utility, Airport Utility, and Airport Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow - i think they came with the airport extreme. I tried to run the airport setup assistant on the macbook as well, but the same thing happened. please help, it would be so greatly appreciated.

2. JoriSsz macrumors newbie

Same problem here... I want to extend my excisting netwok (netgear rangemax) but get the same error every time. Im from amsterdam and tried to ask the dutch maccers for assistance but they didn't know the problem... Hope you guys CAN help!!??

Kind Regards

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

way to find a very old and mildly related thread and dig it up

what kind of airport do you have? express, extreme, timecapsule?

airport's don't like to extend networks from other manufacturers.

if you are trying to extend the range of your network, I would recommend hard wiring the airport, and using it as a second base station.

if you just want music and your network range is fine, set up the express to join your existing network.

also it is easier (less problems) to setup when your computer hard wired to the express, once it's setup you can unplug the ethernet and place it where you want.