Airport share NAS to LAN

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by /dev/toaster, Nov 2, 2007.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Can you share the NAS of the Airport over a LAN ? I am trying to use it for Timemachine, but in order to share it with my laptop at work I need it to work over VPN. (I could setup a crazy wireless bridge if I _had_ to)

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

You're referring to a WAN not a LAN, and unfortunately Time Machine doesn't work with AirDisk

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

There are work arounds for timemachine, and I am sure Apple will fix them ... too many requesting it and it did work in the last seed. Just like with the iPhone, Apple will feel forced to fix it. Anyway, that isn't my question :D

What I am wondering is how do I share it over the LAN. This way I can store some other things on the drive and have my local server access it. On top of that, I want to connect to my LAN from work using my Sonicwall and IPSec. Then hit timemachine from there.

Honestly, I don't care about the firewall / router part, I am using it for the NAS and the wireless.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is a disk icon in the Airport Utility app. Click the icon click that icon and it's pretty self explanatory from that point on You can enable an set up accounts and passwords right there inside Airport Utility

5. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Actually ... let me make it a little easier, I made the question way too long. How can I share the Airport Extreme Base Station NAS over a LAN ? No wireless.