Airport shared disk dropping connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seanhess, Jan 2, 2008.

1. seanhess macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've been looking for a good solution for sharing files from my external hard drive for months. I thought i'd found it with the Airport Extreme Base Station I just bought on amazon. It's the slightly older model without the gigabit ethernet ports.

So, I set it all up, did a full reset, and it's serving the internet fine. I connected my external hard drive (USB 2.0, 320 GB, Metal Gear Box with a WD drive inside, I think). It has two partitions, both HFS+, one called backup, and one called stuff. I'm running Leopard.

It broadcasts the two partitions fine. I click on the router in the side thing, then the share I want to connect to. What happens then depends on the password protection I set up on the drive. If I do Base Station Password, it never connects, and tells me my airport drops the connection. If I use the other items, sometimes it will let me in, but then kill the whole drive after I navigate in for a sec.

What is going on???? How am I supposed to set this up?

Thanks in advance
    ~sean

2. McGiord, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There are other threads about the AirDisk issue.

Apple is not giving any solution for it yet.

Some user "solved it" by downgrading the firmware to the previous version.

Others say that when your mac gets into sleep and the wake up while having your shared drive it will not come back.

Anyway search in the forum and you'll see what other people has done, also on the apple.com support forums.

I'm not happy at all with this problem and I have the Airport Extreme N (non gigabit).
    ________
    e cigarette