Airport signal dropping

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by E3BK, Aug 10, 2010.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm home visiting my family for the week and my moms airport extreme keeps dropping its signal. it's apparently been going on since I bought the AE for her for xmas.

I thought it was the wireless speakers she has through out the house or the cordless phones but i locked the channels and it's still a problem. The laptops & iPhones keep losing their WiFi connections in the house. Any suggestions on fixes or thoughts on what the problem might be?

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Run istumbler and see what kind of signal strength you get around the house, and also to see what other channels are in use in your area.

On the AEBS, setting mulitcast rate to low, enable use interference robustness and use wide channels can be worth a try as well.

Is she using 2.4 or 5Ghz?

3. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

Thanks so much for the tips. iStumbler isn't showing any other WiFi networks though I see the neighbors on the regular airport scan.

I've tested strength around the house and it's decent for the most part, even upstairs (when wifi is working). But the signal drops even in the room right next to the office where the AEBS is. So I don't think signal strength is the issue.

Multicast rate is at 2. Using 2.4. I just changed the channel from locked to 11 to automatic and enabled interference robustness. I'll monitor throughout the day and see where it stands.

4. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

Well...now it's droping every 30 min or so :(

I don't even know what to try at this point.