Airport signal keeps dropping out

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Noted, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Noted macrumors member

About a week ago my Airport started cutting out every now and again. I'll be on the web or MSN then suddenly the menu bar icon shows no bars of signal and my internet drops out. Then it comes back on within 10 seconds, and happens again in another few minutes or so. This happened last week then went away for a bit now the problem is back again. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Lexiloo macrumors newbie

This seems to be a common problem - everywhere I go Apple discussions and now here people are having the same problem. It is driving me mad. I will be on the internet, and if i scroll thru to another page, my internet drops out. I have checked my router and it is fine. I am hard wired into it - no problems. the more I read the more I am convinced it is a 10.5.2 problem and I can't find the answer. I have tried removing dashboard = that helped some. It didn't help me. I have removed preferences still it keeps dropping. IT IS SO ANNOYING

3. RCGMac macrumors regular

May be a totally off the wall response, but I had this same problem. If you have a wireless router and a cordless phone, your cordless phone may be causing it to drop out. It took me several months to put two and two together. Turns out the cordless phone and router were using the same channel. So try to change the channel on your router and see if that helps. Good luck! :)

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

That or an unshielded flyback converter in your microwave, or any microwave within 50 feet. My parents 20 year old microwave kills RF on their phones and wifi. Its common for you to hear my mother scream at my dad to stop popping his popcorn so she can 'just get her email one last time'.

There are MANY things (florescent light ballast is a common one) that make wireless, or RF in general go batty.

The advise of changing channels is a good one, most times it fixes things, if only for a short time. However, finding the cause (which you did) is going to save you time and frustration. it will even place the anger on the device it should be placed on.

5. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I had the same issue but switched to 5 Ghz frequency. No more problems after that...

6. BASE91 macrumors member

Probably something on the same channel. I had the problem but all my aiports would go out at the same time. Finally downloaded an OS X version of netstumbler to find out if I was competing on the same channel. Changed it and now I no longer experience any drops. Popular channels seems to be 6 and 11. Since then nothing has dropped.

7. Zygon Gambit macrumors regular

In my house I have three Macs, and one wireless network. Recently all three macs were on 10.4.11, and the network worked without a problem.

Then I upgraded one of them (a Mini) to 10.5.2, and that one loses the connection everytime it sleeps. On waking it has no connection at all, and I have to manually add it again. The same computer worked fine on 10.4.11, and I've not touched the configuration of the airport base-station at all.

It's clearly a 10.5.2 problem. My network has WPA2 security set, and is hidden. I might remove some of the security, and see if that helps.