Airport signal on new uMBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrrippey, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mrrippey macrumors regular

Seems to me that the new uMBP's get less signal strength than the white MB's. In my bedroom I constantly only get 2 bars from my AEBS whereas my wife's White Macbook gets full strength. She is sitting right next to me. Also I get dropped connections from my AirDisk (but I am guessing that is from the low signal) but sometimes it happens when I am right above it (AEBS is in the basement).

Anyone else having Airport issues?:confused:

I upgraded the software to all latest levels on all MB's and AEBS.

2. xpress1 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue!!!!

My wife is using a Windows i am using the MBP and i have less signal strength than she has, also when we try to access the same webpage her Notebook is faster than mine, i was using a LENOVO (IBM) about 1 week ago and it was damn fast, i bought my MBP and now feel that my connection to the net is very weak!! There is something wrong with the Airport from MBP!

3. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I would like to hear more feedback on this subject.

Any other owners of the new MBP experiencing poorer
    WiFi connection?

4. reubs macrumors 68000

Is the reception actually worse, or is it simply showing up as a poor connection? Do you notice any actual difference?

5. c.dub macrumors member

I notice this as well. I have a Linksys WRT310N router. With my old uMB, I got full signal strength in my basement. Now, with my uMBP, I usually only get 2/4 bars for signal strength. I don't know why, but my connection is still stable and my speeds are not affected...

6. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

My Macbook Pro has some issues. From room to room just like yours.

7. nep61 macrumors 6502

My 17" uMBP has just recently started to have WiFi issues. It's actually in the same room as my FiOS Wireless Router. (I use it as a desktop computer at home with a second monitor attached)

My iPhone is always connected in the house, (no issues there) but sometimes, upon starting up my MBP, I'll launch Safari, and I get the "You're not connected to the Internet" page. I'll run Network Diagnostics and it's a crap shoot as to whether I get get online via WiFi or not. I've had this MBP since April and it's only been the last 2 weeks that I've had this issue. "Software Update" will not connect either when this occurs. Maybe a Safari 4 issue????

Oh, when I am connected, like right now, I get Full bars. And when I'm not connected, I'll still have Full bars, and I can't get online... Airport sees the Router, says it's there and shows full strength... but no internet.

8. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

You have to keep in mind that the uMBPs are made of aluminum. However, I haven't had any issues with my signal on mine. It's always full.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Thinkpad has 3 antennae surrounding the bezel for maximum signal reception—even though the chassis is magnesium, the antennae have plastic covers; the MacBook [Pro] has 2 antennae in the hinge surrounded by mostly all metal.

10. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

has effect...

this really sucks and there is an effect. I have an AirDisk and copying takes much longer on my new uMBP than on my wifey's WhiteBook. She has full strength and I only get 2/5.

I am considering getting an airport express for my bedroom to extend my network but this really kinda sucks.

11. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I have a uMBP and my sister has a white MacBook, and we both get exactly the same reception from the AEBS. Very fast.

12. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

i might get this one replaced although it was a CTO and I upgraded the RAM to 4GB. This is pretty frustrating.:mad:

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... reception also depends on other outside interference = other signals outside your house from bleed over to other things inside your house like a microwave and the wireless video sender I have...

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

My reception us just as good as my wife's dell. Our router is upstairs in my office and I can go anywhere downstairs with full reception.

15. Z06jerry macrumors regular

We have both, a 13" uMB & 13" uMBP. Both have the same signal strength as each other and both seem get better reception than the white MB 2.0 and Black MacBook 2.2 they replaced.

I am using an Airport Extreme base station in N (b&g compatible) mode. I have 4 bars @ approx 75'

16. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

if this were the case, i think the white macbook would be affected and it is not. hers is fine and full strength and we are next to each other

same setup but i am like 50' away and only have 2 bars and sometimes i lose it alltogether....

17. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Have you tried different channels, FWIW my AE is set to automatic, also I have it placed high on top of an entertainment unit.

18. mrrippey thread starter macrumors regular

Interference robustness

I may have found something. I unchecked this option and I now have full strength where I normally get 2 bars. I have to check how the whitebook react to this and if I gain / lose any other functions.

Maybe this can work. BTW, I am on automatic channel.

19. Z06jerry macrumors regular

My interfrerence robustnuss is off. I live in the country without any neighbours close by.

20. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Must be an issue with your router. Mine is full bars even outside my house on Wifi-N on 2.4GHz.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's "surrounded" by metal on two sides while totally open on the other two. The hinge itself is plastic. There's no reason that wireless reception should be stronger or weaker when compared to a Macbook, because the case is fairly irrelevant compared to the circuitry (read: metal) inside all portables.