Airport stops working when mini DVI is plugged in

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whitebook, Nov 4, 2010.

1. whitebook, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

whitebook macrumors regular

Ok guys, I got a new 32" samsung tv to use as a display for my 08 White MacBook that uses mini dvi connections, so i went along and bought the mini dvi to dvi apple adapter today along with an iwires dvi to hdmi lead. I've plugged everything in and image quality is great (although can't get sound to work at all) but when I try tonaccess the internet wirelessly it doesnt work, it finds the wireless network ok but the seems to be no internet connection. My iPhone works and my iPad works through the same Internet connection and when I use a regular mini dvi to VGA connection the Internet works fine. Anyone know why this is happening?

2. spinnerlys, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With "avi", do you mean "DVI", as in miniDVI to HDMI or do you mean "miniDisplayPort (MDP)", as in MDP to HDMI?

Btw, "avi" is short for Audio Video Interleave and is a common container/format for storing video and audio inside.

Apple DVI to VGA Display Adapter
    [​IMG]

Apple DVI to Video Adapter
    [​IMG]

Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter
    [​IMG]

Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter
    [​IMG]

Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter
    [​IMG]

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
    [​IMG]

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    [​IMG]

from http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/displays?mco=MTY1NzE0OTY&s=alpha

MonoPrice Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter
    [​IMG]

MonoPrice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
    [​IMG]

3. whitebook thread starter macrumors regular

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

miniDVI will not transfer sound, you have to use a 3.5mm to RCA cable or something similar.

How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

Btw, what Mac OS X version do you use and do you use a Location in the Network settings?
    Can you post more details about your network setup and link to the components you used to connect the MB to the TV?

Btw 2, to edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG]button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

5. whitebook thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info. I was using mini dvi to vga apple adaptor and then straight into the vga port in my tv with the double ended 3.5mm headphone cable for audio. Now its mini dvi to dvi apple cable connected to a dvi to hdmi cable into the back of the tv, still running the 3.5mm headphone cable from mac to tv as well but still no audio (need to check tv manual for audio in change).
    Im using mac os 10.6.4 with all updates applied and my location in network settings is set to auto.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

6. whitebook thread starter macrumors regular

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

It's won't happen.

Some of the newer macs will transfer audio over Mini DisplayPort, which is why you might have seen. but i believe it's only the '10 models (could be wrong, don't feel like looking it up). But it's mini Displayport not mini DVI.

although interestingly enough, a mini Displayport to DVI then a DVI to HDMI will transmit sound. even though i thought DVI had no sound on it. But i have a new unibody mac mini hooked to the TV, and it works.

as far as your network problems, try moving the mac as far away from the tv as possible, or just moving it to a different place, you could just be getting interference.