Airport strange behavior with mac mini

Discussion in 'macOS' started by munkees, Jun 15, 2009.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Hello,

My friend just purchased his first mac, a mac mini with a nvidia graphics and core 2 duo 2.0. We configured it then configured his DLink router, he had it very open on the setup.

all worked well, then the iMac would stop working on the internet, yet the fan bars on the menu bar for the airport are all strong. I would turn the airport off then back on and it would come back. Things got worse, in fact it stopped working completely on the network but with the fan bars on the menu bar for the airport all strong.

some of the apps crashed when started, remember this is a brand new mac mini. So I tried restarting and using my leopard DVD to reinstall, it would power cycle non stop and not boot form the DVD, so I used the Mac mini's DVD to reinstall, it would make it all the way though, then the last minute warning would chunk away for 30 minutes. I manage to get it installed by ditching the extra languages, printers.

any idea why such strange behavior, could the DVD drive be faulty?

any idea about the airport with a DLink G 2.4 Ghz router? why it does not get an IP address assigned? if I set the IP manually I can assess the the router config page but not the internet.

Now the PC laptop and 2 iphones have no problems with the network.

any ideas ?

2. Henk Poley macrumors regular

You need to find out if the specific D-Link router (like D-link DIR-655) has issues with OS X. I had a Linksys WAG200 for a while that that stopped accepting data from any system running Bonjour after about 10 minutes.

What D-Link router is it?

3. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

is the key to disable Bonjour? does the iPhone use Bonjour, it seems to have no problem staying connected.

the Dlink router is a DI-524.

4. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

DI-524 I believe the firmware is 3.23