Airport Streaming Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by taylord22, Dec 27, 2013.

1. taylord22 macrumors regular

Problem: Airport express set up next to my desktop is causing streaming issues to my appletv that previously weren't there.

First, I live in a multi level home that makes having a roaming network impossible, and it also poses some challenges with getting a decent wifi signal (consistently) on my main machine.

Because of this, I have an airport express (new version) set up next to my desktop (un-wired) in an effort to provide more consistency. My main base is a previous gen Airport Extreme that's located in my basement about 15ft from my Apple Tv.

I have my airport express set up to extend my network, but I have to re-start my airport express in order to watch a movie streamed from my CPU. That gives me enough time to get a good chunk of the movie loaded. I hope that makes sense...basically I'm bypassing the express next to my main machine when streaming anything to my living room.

I recently picked up a new gen airport extreme and I'm wanting to get this figured out before I attempt (re) set-up.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hookup the brand new Extreme to be the main base station. It is by far the best way as it offers the best WAN to LAN performance as well as Wi-Fi throughput in comparison to your other base stations. Since you have your heart set on not doing a roaming network but rather a wirelessly extended network, we are going to have some decisions to make. Now you have three base stations in your network. I would move the Express elsewhere, perhaps even closer to your home theater. I would put the last generation Extreme in your computer room near the iMac, and even hardwire the iMac to that base station.

The network would look something like this:

Internet --> Modem --> New AirPort Extreme (AC Version) -WIRELESS-> Express and Older Extreme.

Reset to factory defaults on all base stations before attempting. Also understand that you may have to turn down the transmit power on the "repeaters" as it may be flooding your house with too much noise.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

when using extend network, clients that connect to the repeater only get about half of the bandwidth available from the main base. (the repeater uses half to talk to the client, half to the main base)

If your repeater is right next to your computer, it will be the stronger signal.
    stronger signal, but less bandwidth available to use.
    and it's only taking the not so great signal your computer was getting, and making it stronger, so instead of being soft and full of static, it's loud and full of static.

your most reliable option is a wired connection from the repeaters back to the main base, if that is not an option, look at powerline networking.
    you could also use powerline directly to your computer.

4. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I completely agree with Altemose. I just had to do the same thing when I got my time capsule! My house gets great signal everywhere now and everything works flawlessly!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Powerline networking is a great option provided your house is on one breaker panel. Granted, you do lose a bit of bandwidth with powerline adapters, but it is a far better alternative to fully wireless extension.

6. taylord22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply! I assume I'm hooking up the brand new airport extreme in order to inherit all of the settings, then turning around and changing back the others to factory defaults?

7. taylord22 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...194444_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1388206697&sr=1-1

Would allow me to carry every bit of my 50mbps internet connection just by utilizing the sockets? Can I use 3 units, or does it require pairs? I am on a single panel house, how much extra in electric are we talking?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You are going to lose some throughput as it is going across the power lines. I don't have a specific number as to what capacity of the original bandwidth you would get.

9. taylord22 thread starter macrumors regular

But overall more consistent than a wireless set-up?

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When using a wireless extension, the bandwidth is cut in half. Half is used to stay connected to the main base station, while the other half services the clients connected to the extender. It really depends on what the OP is willing to spend. If he or she picks up the top of the line power line adapters, then the bandwidth will be greatly improved over a traditional wireless link but still depends on factors like the wiring, how much noise is on the lines, etc.

The best way to test is to set it up to wirelessly extend and go from there. If the performance is acceptable, stick with it. However, the next step is to try power line networking with a set of adapters with a good return policy just in case.