Airport Strength

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cycocelica, May 21, 2007.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Ok so my 3 other roommates (they all have windows PCs) get wireless from the people next door (they ok'd this, so don't turn this into a bad person thread) constantly. I have a PowerBook G4 and I can only get it some times. Is there anyway to strengthen it (hardware or any process)? Thanks for any information.

2. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Have you used Interference Robustness (I think it's called that) from the airport menu?

Also you could get an airport express, which would grab your neighbor's signals and shoot them to you. Any access point hardware would work provided you configure it properly.

An aluminum parabolic dish surrounding your mac would also work.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

My macbook does the same thing my HP laptop finds sooooo many......

4. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Well, PowerBooks have never been notorious for signal strength (especially TiBooks). If your roomates are using outboard PC cards they have an advantage over your internal AP card, and also due to the probable plastic construction of the casing if its internal. iBooks have always had exceptional range, so if you're looking for an Apple computer to test with, try one of them out if one's available.

Hope this helps!

5. cycocelica thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

All of their wireless cards are internal. But I will ask my girlfriend to bring her iBook over and see what she gets.

I will also try interfernece robustness and see what happens as well.

And I have a Airport Express, but how I would use it to grab a wireless signal?

Thanks for the help.