Airport sucks since 10.5.3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mbpcron, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

My airport performance is horribly slow since installing 10.5.3. It's like Safari is very slow with DNS and loading pages after the patch. Anyone heard anything? Thanks

2. outspokn macrumors newbie

I had the same issue. I spent about 5 hours off and on with tech support. At their direction, I reset Time Capsule more times than I care to count. It would get better for a little while and then get a lot worse. Sometimes I would get the "You don't have an internet connection" message in Safari.

Finally, out of desperation, I did a "Repair Disk Permissions" in Disk Utility and then a shut down and restart. It fixed everything.

3. ravikc Guest

thats funny

my airport was so ****ed up in 10.5.2 kept goin in and out all day

10.5.3 finally restored my stuff back to normal.

4. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Just stating that you're too lucky that you didnt have any problems with it until 10.5.3 came out.
    I'd rephrase your title to: "Airport sucks since 10.4.9"

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, I didn't have problems with 10.4.9 at all... but I do now, with 10.5.3. AirPort connectivity is much more variable than it used to be - worked great before in my house, now it's spotty. Some places I get the "No internet connection" messages, other places 4 full bars of strength. Also, it doesn't seem to matter how close I am to the base station.

6. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

7. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

let me be more specific: It worked untill 10.4.9. I have 10.4.11 and i patched it that way so it will still have the 10.4.9 settings for the airport. Otherwise it would hang all the time

8. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

Can you be a little specific about what the issues are.

I am on an Intel imac and have no airport issues to even think of as it just simply works without hassles.

I have an airport extreme and have the intel imac wireless networked and a PPC imac G5 connect via ethernet and both work no problems.

I have read a major amount of issues with the macbook and macbook pros and airport issues this seems to be a ongoing issue and could very well be some form of hardware or maybe even cpu related issue.

One thing which may help and is a real pain due to the fact all the airport base station settings get wiped is a hard reset of the base station as the 7.3.1 firmware update doesn't reset/restart the base station fully.

Also most third party routers have issues when it come to being used in conjunction with airport as I found this out the hard way myself just recently.

9. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

Yeah it was so bad I had to archive and install.

In 10.5.2 I went from stable and nice, to hardly getting a connection, in the same room, same spot.

Went back and now its fine.

10. mbpcron thread starter macrumors member

mbpcron

Update on my 10.5.3 network issues

After upgrading, my Airport and ethernet performance was 2/3 worse. I went into network props and reset the "Ethernet" settings using
    1. Auto
    2. Manual
    3. Manual with a 1492 MTU (i use fios; was 1500 before and worked fine).

The third option fixed the ethernet, and now the Airport seems better too.

Not sure what exactly happened, but I'm back up to speed
    :)

11. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

strange, you know airport was actually dogy for me until 10.5.3 for some reason the update seems to have fixed the strangeness though often safari will sit and load a page for the remainder of eternity.

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I see no difference between 10.5.2 and .3. What I have noticed is
    than my machine uses less ram now than it did according to istat.

13. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

spoke to soon right after I make that post my WIFI craps out for no apparent reason.

14. MacPhilosopher macrumors 6502

Just wish I knew...

I had a suspicion after doing 10.5.3 upgrade on my Mini, which went smoothly, as soon as that was done, I tried to update my intel iMac and nothing. Had a hard time finding and holding wireless router. Now. I have nothing but problems, and so does my neighbor that provides my signal. At first, I am doubtful that this can be the OS X update, but now I am suspicious. My neighbor turned of the wireless on her DSL and reset it. Now that I turned it back on and connected, problems again. I sure hope this isn't an Apple F/U. Come on Apple, give us some answers...

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I updated all four of my Macs each a day or two apart. My MacBook 2.4 seems to be lagging some and so does my MBP. Today I updated the iMac and it seems to be doing ok using WiFi. I now have my MBP using ethernet as is my Mac Pro and those are also fine under ethernet. Not sure what the difference could be on why my iMac seems unaffected so far.