Airport suddenly disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jrgvill, May 6, 2009.

1. jrgvill macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently bought a late 08 aluminum macbook and have been quite happy with it but from quite some time I've noticed that while I'm on internet and on adium (where I noticed the most) the signal goes off for a couple of seconds and then it comes back. First i thought it was ok but it's been happening really often and is quite annoying since it happens several times a day and only happens to me and not anyone on my network (everyone else has pc`s and are also on wifi). So I wanted to ask.. is it possible my Airport card is failing? or is my router the one failing? and if it is so why is not affecting the other pc's? what should I do? thanks

2. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Check that there is no interference between the router and your MacBook. For example, certain telephones (particularly older model ones) can cause interference with the router's signal.

How far away is the MacBook from the router, and how far away are the PC's?

3. jrgvill thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I know if there's no interference? the distance is pretty much the same. Is there a way to check what's going on? if is the router or the configuration?

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

What kind of encryption does the network use?

5. jrgvill thread starter macrumors newbie

it uses wep encryption, i'm getting tired because it keeps getting me out of adium which is most often but some times also won't load pages... i guess the signal just goes off.. should i get my mac checked? or my router? maybe i should try with other internet signals...

6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I recommend that you use WPA instead of WEP. Try putting a $ in front of your password if you can't connect. We use AT&T and the customer service person we talked to said that macs have to put that at the front of the password when using WEP.