Airport Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lnxcode, Aug 8, 2013.

1. lnxcode, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

lnxcode macrumors newbie

Hello:

I don't know if we can use two "Apple Extremes" in a network design? The reason is because there is two apartments that I want to link up to the same network, but the WIFI connection can't go thru that much concreate so, I was going to link it up with Single-mode fiber... and then use media converters to switch it to ethernet and plug it into a hub... but the problem is... I dont know if on the other side we should use Apple Extreme or Apple Express so we can plug that into the hub and then extend the WIFI network coverage in another apartment... I don't know if you can then extend a "Apple Express" with another "Apple Express"?

Please look at the diagram that I've setup...

[​IMG]

Thanks again guys!

2. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

You can extend an extreme using an express, but you can't extend an express with an express

3. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

A wireless network created by an Airport Express base station can be wireless extended by another Airport Express.

4. lnxcode thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah perfect, I'm so glad I found an answer here. So I will just use Airport Expresses in the other apartment... that should resolve this issue. It will be an entirely apple based network... so shouldn't have any problems there. Just wanted to make sure...

5. lnxcode thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up question; so I can extend an airport express with another airport express right? Sorry for the dumb questions... just double checking.

6. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

Yes, that should be fine. Thats how my network is set up.

Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 09.03.26.png

7. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

Keep in mind that the airport express has 100 megabit ports which limits all of your wireless devices to a total of 100 megabits. The airport express also only supports wireless N. The AirPort Extreme has gigabit ports and the newer model support wireless a/c.

I'm not saying the express is bad, but you should make sure it will suite all of your needs.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Did you use Omnigraffle to create that graphic? If so, which stencil did you use?