Airport & T-Mobile Hotspots

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotty588, Apr 22, 2008.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

This last weekend I was at San Diego Airport where they have free wifi, although they redirect you to a splash page where you need to accept their terms of service. My friend was with me who has a IBM laptop he jumped on no problem. I connect, the router assigns me an IP and any browser I tried and it stalled at "connecting..." and just gave me a white screen. I tried Safari, Firefox, and Camino. I tried restarting, everything.

Finally I decided to boot into Windows XP via bootcamp, which got me online no problem. I pulled out my iPhone and it had to problems getting online as well. I have a wireless network at home with WPA enabled and never had any problems.

At my hotel, which had T-mobile it worked once, then the next day it did the same thing, it wouldn't redirect to the splash page, it just stalled. I noticed if I boot into Windows XP, login really quick, then reboot into OS X it works because the login to T-mobile hasn't timed out yet. I went downstairs to the lobby of the hotel which had free wifi with no splash page or wpa/wep and I had no problems. To further prove this is not the hotspot, I tried this at San Francisco Airport on T-mobile as well and same problem.

I went to my local Starbucks back when I got home and tried their T-mobile wifi and had no problems at all! I logged in to 2 different hotspots and had no problems.

Anyone had problems with hotspots with splash pages?

Attached Files:

2. beaner454 macrumors regular

I've seen this problem at my school as well with my laptop and iPhone. To fix it I just had to turn off pop-up blocker while I was logging in.

Apparently it briefly (.1 seconds) opens a window during the logging script and safari was blocking it.

3. skd macrumors 6502

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

By pressing shift + command + k while in Safari.

5. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is I coulden't even get to the login page. The instant I opened up my browser it would stall at the loading screen and eventually time out.