Airport Time Capsule 2Tb help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AsheyB, Dec 20, 2013.

1. AsheyB macrumors newbie

Iv been trying to work it out all day however have been left hopeless..hoping someone could point into the right direction;

I have the Airport Time Capsule 2Tb and would like to know if any of the following are possible or is it a no go...

Sharing folders as only 'read access' with a 3 windows machines
    Admin rights with a Macbook read write access
    Partitioning the 2TB into 1Tb-1Tb
    Adding folders with a password protection

I know i can access the files with a password with a windows machine however I would like it to be able to access it through the Explorer itself with out having to enter the password/user name kind of like a NAS

Many thanks in advance

2. aicul macrumors 6502a

I think what you are asking for is functionality of a file server. TC will give you simple hard-disk equivalent file storage (hence read/write) with minimal security (as you mention).

But I say "I think", and am also curious to discover if these features are part of a TC.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The TC can share data on its drive with other machines, but for 1 and 2, that is I believe going to be beyond what is built in to the TC as far as access management.

3) No... there is no way to partition the drive on a TC without removing the drive then partitioning in another computer and putting it back in the TC.

4) You can PW protect folders, but you could put data in encrypted sparse bundle. You can read about it here. Basically you would create the bundle and put in on the TC drive, then to open it a PW would be required.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

There is the option in TC (or AirPort Extreme) Disk Sharing, that allows sharing "with accounts".
    This will create a subfolder on shared drive for each account. And each account can have R/W, RO or No Access.
    That's the most that TC can do.
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2280