Airport Time Capsule 802.11AC 2TB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by McDuck44, May 14, 2014.

1. McDuck44 macrumors newbie

Hello Everybody

I am looking on buying an Airport Extreme or an Airport Time Capsule 802.11AC 2TB. So the problem is that my landlord have the router for my internet in his home, and there is a hole in my wall, where i put the LAN cable in my computer. This is because his router is not wireless.

So now I would like to make my home wireless, so I am not forced to use the wire all the time. As i wrote earlier on I am looking at an Airport, because I have alot of Apple products. But is it possible that from his router there goes a cable to the Airport, and then I can use the internet wireless through the airport and put on my NAS server aswell to the airport?

Or does the airport functions as an router and not like an accesspoint?

Best Regards
    From Mads

2. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

I'm not an expert, but I believe your Time Capsule can then become a part of your landlords network. I don't think that's what you want.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Just put the Apple router in bridge mode.

[​IMG]

The only issue will be like JHankwitz said, the landlord will be able to see the drive on your NAS or Time Capsule, so make sure you password protect them.

4. McDuck44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your answers. Ok that is cool that it could work. I will make sure to password protect the capsule then.
    I can understand that I have to set some bridge settings or? I read some different articles regarding that. But i will read some more about that.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check out the screenshot in my post above. Just start Airport Utility after you connect the router and go to the screen I showed and select bridge mode in that drop down then click update.

6. McDuck44 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Ask your landlord to give you a static IP address.

Set your router (which ever you get) to allocate IP addresses via DHCP. You can opt to "reserve" IPs which acts similar to static IP addresses for your home.
    You can also
    This makes your router in your control. The cable from your landlord acts as your "Internet" line in.

While you may think that getting an Airport Extreme type of router adds to your Apple eco system, it really does nothing special other than use Apple's computer installed application to control it as opposed to a web interface. I suggest you look at smallnetbuilder site and examine the routers that are offered there. If you opt to do so, join their forums and propose the same question there (plus what I have suggested and the worry of the landlord seeing your end of things). If you treat the landlord's line as your WAN/Internet line, you can opt for certain firewall options that are not really fully realized on Apple's routers.

8. UKgaryb macrumors regular

Smallnetbuilder is certainly a good indicator, however they never take into consideration stability or long term use. They are very biased also. Personally going from pfSense firewalls to just putting in a AExtreme that virtually never ever goes down and has most of the speed then there are certainly benefits.

Also who uses all of the firewall / rotuing features anyway? If his landlord is sharing his internet via a CAT5 then I don't think he'd have access to ANY router features anyway.

Just plug the Cat5 into the WAN port of the Time Capsule, it will warn about double nat but you can ignore it.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

First, he should use Cat5e or 6 and not 5. Second, the entire point is that the person get as much control of their own network and not the landlord's set up. The AE is expensive for what it is. I have set up plenty of them on request and while people are happy, they don't have anything to compare them with. Sometimes being in the blind is satisfactory. As for bias on that site, perhaps you are correct but then again, some of the testing isn't quite as biased. I think that gaining as much control of one's system is the most relevant part of the exercise thus "bridge" is not the best option as some suggested. Ideally the landlord would take the line and use port forwarding so that it really is as close to being an outfacing line for the original poster.

10. UKgaryb macrumors regular

Come on, your splitting hairs if there's a hole in his wall his landlord has put in, do you REALLY think Cat5 vs 5e v6 matters? grow up.

11. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

Refurbished Time Capsules are a bargain on the Apple Store. The 2TB non-AC is $200. If you want 802.11AC, which nothing I currently own supports, they have those discounted as well, but not as much. If you're going to get a 3TB anyway, you might as well get the AC. Here's a breakdown of US pricing:

2TB N $200
    2TB AC $255
    3TB N $299
    3TB AC $339

I'm probably going to buy a second Time Capsule and will most likely go AC just because I don't want to have two with older technology. I'll probably be replacing two 7yr old Macbooks in the next year, so the AC will become relevant. With a $40 premium, it's hard not to go AC for the 3TB.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

This will not be a problem at all, just make sure you follow the previous instructions - and revert should you have any issues :)

Goodluck!!

13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I just got a new 2 TB time capsule a few weeks ago and the 802.11ac wifi is very nice on my 2013 MacBook Air. Disk access is similar to the cheap bus-powered USB 2.0 passport drives that I own (they clock around 33 to 35MB/s in Blackmagic).

Looking at the gigabit ethernet test, I guess the bottleneck is the speed of the Time Capsule drive. Or maybe the speed of the drive interface? I wonder if the 3TB model is faster?

I posted these elsewhere, but they might be of interest here too.

2TB Time Capsule with 2013 MacBook Air and Inateck USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

[​IMG]

2TB Time Capsule with 2013 MacBook Air and 802.11ac Wifi

[​IMG]

14. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I think it's the HDD speed limit. The result is more or less the same with ethernet cable connection.