Airport Time capsule and Technicolor TG799vn v2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chparigi, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Chparigi macrumors member

Hi everyone

I recently bought a Airport Time Capsule 3tb in USA, which i brought back to Europe. I've set it up in my apartment, but my provider has given me a combo DSL-modem/wifi-router Technicolor TG799vn v2 which i'm kind of stuck with. Other than that, i have a Seagate 2-bay business NAS connected on my network, which is set up for file-sharing using smb, afp and webdav.

I have connected my Airport Time Capsule to my Technicolor router by LAN, and i can connect through the wifi on my Airport seamlessly. The only thing that is not working very well, is "Back to my mac" which i could really use.

When trying to connect to my Mac Mini or Airport Time Capsule via "back to my mac" it doesn't always work. The Screen sharing with my mac works, and the file sharing functionality only works with my Time Capsule, not the mac mini, when i have deleted the Port triggering command that i've made for my Seagate NAS webdav file-sharing service.

How can i make the "back to my mac" service run perfectly, alongside my webdav archive on my NAS? Is it only possible if the Airport Time Capsule, so to say, acts as the NAT and DHCP-router, and how is it possible to do that, without interfering with my modem?

Hope it's not took complicated, and i really hope that you can help me!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In order for Back to my Mac to work you must call your ISP and ask them to put your Technicolor fully into Bridge Mode.

3. asriznet macrumors regular

You may want to check the router modem admin page if UPNP is switched on too, that will make your life much easier rather than messing around with port forwarding.

Ideally I would set the modem as bridge mode however it's not always possible. Some ISP build custom firmware on the modems and may limit certain features.

4. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all your replys!

I called my ISP today, and for a fee, they've set it to bridge mode. What do i do in the setup for the time-capsule? Do i just set it to be the DHCP and NAT-server, and that's it? The cable should go from my ethernet port, and not WAN-port in my modem to my WAN-port on my time-capsule?

5. asriznet macrumors regular

Great! a bit shocked that there are charging you though but that's beside the case.

You don't have to change the cabling, leave it as it is! Just make sure that you do no have any LAN ports being used on the modem other than the Time Capsule.

Just open up Airport Utility and edit the Time Capsule.
    In the network Tab, change it back to DHCP & NAT.

After the change, power off both modem + Time Capsule. Switch on the modem first and wait till all the lights stabilise and switch on the time capsule.

To test if everything is configured properly, open up airport utility again and edit the Time Capsule.

In the internet tab, you should get a public IP(provided by your ISP) instead of a private IP like 192.168.xx.xx

6. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, it finally worked!

Actually at first, i really couldn't figure out how to do it, because it did not work at all. I then called my ISP, and the guy from the support told me that i had to connect the AirPort Extreme to port 4 on my router, which i actually was told, but i totally forgot.

But thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it!