Airport Time Capsule Backup Opens in Trash Bin

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by User*09, Sep 5, 2013.

1. User*09 macrumors member

Hello,

I accidentally deleted my timemachine backup file into my trash bin. I used the put back option in the trash bin to save the file. Now when I open my time machine to view my files, my back up appears in my trash bin until I eject my timemachine backups icon.

How do I correct this bug?

I'm running OS X 10.8.4 on a late 2008 unibody Macbook and I am using a new Airport Time Capsule 2TB for my time machine back ups.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Normally when you delete a TM backup from a Time Capsule is does not go to the trash and is gone forever. Did you do something else like maybe drag the sparse bundle file from the Time Capsule to the trash?

Do you really need to get that file back, or can we just delete it and start over?

Where exactly is the TM sparse bundle file now.... is in the trash?

3. User*09 thread starter macrumors member

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay, so just to confirm, you have all your data back from the install and we can delete all the Time Machine backups and start over... yes?

If that is correct, then let's move forward.

First, those white backups you see in Time Machine are normal. Those are what is called local snapshots (or local backups). Time Machine will backup to a hidden file on the local drive when you are away from your Time Machine backup drive, and those files show as white in the Time Machine star field interface.

What is not normal is backing up to the sparse bundle in the trash, so let's see if we can get than undone.

First turn off Time Machine then empty the trash and see if that gets rid of the sparse bundle in the trash.

Then go to Airport Utility and erase the Time Capsule drive so we start fresh there also.

Now go to Time Machine prefs in System Prefs and click select disk and select the Time Capsule drive as the backup destination and turn Time Machine back on.

That should get rid of the old backups and get you going with a new one on the Time Capsule.

5. User*09, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

User*09 thread starter macrumors member

I think I need to clarify one thing. i performed the complete Backup of my HD, then I performed a fresh install of Leopard, Snow Leopard and then Mountain Lion. (I had some kind of corrupt files that disk utility could not repair so I decided to do a fresh instal of the OS) After the refresh I did not want to restore my HD, I only want to restore select files and use the TC as an external HD. i would rather not delete what I have on my TC, and I'm hoping I can resolve this without having to restore the complete backup from my TC to my laptop, deleting the TC and ..... lol

I attached an image of whats occurring. Maybe a visual will help determine what is going on.

I think because I performed a complete refresh TM is recognizing my Macbook as a new computer(?), thus the "browse other Time Machine Disks" option, which is where I can view my original back up.

When I turn off TM, the file disappears from the Trash Bin, so there is "nothing" to delete. When I turn on TM it appears. If I delete while TM is on, TM Backups icon ejects, Trash Bin is empty, but when I turn TM on the same issue occurs.

Attached Files:

6. User*09 thread starter macrumors member

@Weaselboy,

I decided to copy my back up onto my desktop and delete the TC backup. The backup was on the TC, but not part of the current backups.

Problem solved. Thanks for your assistance!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad you got it sorted out. I'm still not quite sure how this happened. :)