Airport Time Capsule: Configuring with Comcast (XFinity)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Saladsamurai, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Hi All! I have searched and tried to do this on my own, but I am pretty sure I am botching this up. I just got the Airport Time Capsule (TC). I want to configure it to work with Comcast. I a currently using the Comcast modem/router that I lease from them (gag...).

Part 1
    I plugged in my TC and try to follow all the prompts, but I think I did this wrong. I did not use the TC's 'Bridge' mode and hence I get flashing blinking yellow lights and a warning message (that I forgot to copy down). I went to Base Station>Restore Default Settings thinking that I would get a 'do over' but I am not having much luck restarting the configuration process.

My main issue is that when I launch Airport Utility, I see the a message saying I need to update Airport Utility (FIGURE 1). But when I go to update, it says no updates are available (FIGURE 2). Jeeez :confused:

You can see in FIGURE 2 that I have version 7.7.2 which is indeed the latest version. You know why I have the latest version? Because, the first time I tried to configure the TC I updated it!

Going to try clicking Continue anyway and see what happens.

Part 2
    The other question that I want to ask is how folks using Comcast with the leased modem/router would configure this. I know form searching that both devices can go into the so-called 'bridge mode'. I am pretty sure that my goal is to 1) get rid of the existing Comcast Network that I had (named HOME XYZ) and 2) Setup a new network (named Saladsamurai 123).

I am just not clear on what combination of settings I need to do this.

Thanks for your help :)

FIGURE 1
    [​IMG]

FIGURE 2
    [​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need Lion to be able to configure the newer AC Airport devices. Apple has dropped support for Snow Leopard.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

New AirPorts need at least AirPort Utility 6.3 on Lion or later. However, if you own an iOS device, simply download "AirPort Utility" from the App Store.

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Intell. The user manual says you need 10.5.7 or later. :confused:

Hi Altemose. Same as above. But I do have an iPad, so maybe it's worth a shot.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The user manual is outdated. 10.7 is required now.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Unfortunately, Apple discontinued full support for 5.6 in OS X Lion. Hacks have been around for a couple of years to configure 2012 and older base stations with more features. Newer AirPorts 2013+ require 6.3 or later or the latest iOS app.

AirPort Utility 6.3 is only available to Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks (which has 6.3.2). The app is available for iOS 6+. Use your iPad as the network tool, it is really a great app.

7. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Those rat divas.....:p

Just set it up with iPad in about 1 minute :) Why the heck did Airport Utility have so many options? Bridge, etc..? The iPad didn't ask me for any of that.

Is it possible to set up a Guest Network via the iOS App?

Thanks!

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Absolutely, tap your base station and hit edit in the top right. It should be in there. If you cannot find it I will post a screenshot tomorrow morning.

9. ColdCase, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not correct, 10.9 prevents older airport utilities from running but you can certainly configure a new time capsule with the old 5.6.1 utility. Just click continue at the warning shown in the OPs post. And then dig up an older time capsule or airport extreme manual for configuration instructions (if its not clear what to do). Basically its either a bridge or router.

I just set up a new time caspsule using Airport Utility version 5.6.1 running on OS 10.6.8. In fact that was the only way to set it up as I didn't have internet connection at the time and the new Time Capsules won't let you finish the configuration unless it sees the internet. It just returns an unknown error, try again later message. Really awkward implementation, apple doesn't always get it right. I did the same thing six months ago before the 10.9 by running AP Utility 5.6.1 instead of the new one.

Pretty simple too.

10. TechiEmmanuel macrumors member

TechiEmmanuel

I actually bought a Time Capsule on 8 Feb. I have Comcast Blast! and a Moto 6120, and even configured the router with a PowerMac G5! It works perfectly.