Airport Time Capsule connection dropping

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Akuratyde, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Akuratyde macrumors regular

I recently upgraded from a 4th Gen Time Capsule to the new 5th Gen Airport Time Capsule. I've always kept my iTunes library on the TC and have done this since owning a 3rd Gen.

Since upgrading to the new Airport TC I've noticed that its connection drops out periodically. The music will pause, and then resume a few seconds later. Websites also get "stuck" loading. This was never an issue with my 4th Gen TC.

Has anyone experienced this issue? What can I do to troubleshoot this issue, or should I simply assume it's defective and exchange it for another?

Advice is appreciated.

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

This is the nature of WIFI! You don't get a dedicated connection. With WIFI you share a spectrum with all of the devices around you including your neighbors (routers and devices).

Therefore the TC is NOT a recommended location for itunes or other libraries.

If it worked before you might have been lucky - possibly a new router from a neighbor interfering.

If your Web browsing get's stuck you might want to check your WIFI spectrum with iStumbler (free) or WIFI Scanner and then make sure your TC is on a channel with the least pollution. Also remember 2.4GHz has longer reach than 5GHz but lower speed. 5GHz is for short range and high speed. Most pollution is on 2.4GHz.

If that does not help and if your problems with browsing continue after you reboot your router get a replacement from Apple.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try downgrading to 7.6.1 and separating the 5 GHz network from the 2.4 GHz.

4. Akuratyde thread starter macrumors regular

I meant to mention this issue occurs even when I have WiFi turned off and the ethernet cable is plugged directly from the TC to my computer.

Definitely not luck. I've done this with 3 different TC's at 4 different homes and never had a problem until now.

Yep, that's good advice. I've already done this. I also should have mentioned the TC is on my desk right next to my computer, so range most certainly isn't the issue.

That's most likely what I'll do at this point. I appreciate the suggestions. :)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Get a replacement. If it continues, downgrade the firmware to 7.6.1.