Airport/Time Capsule Decision, Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MICMAC247, Sep 18, 2009.

1. MICMAC247 macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Hi Folks!

I recently purchased a 15"MBP and I am looking for my next mac-based upgrade, this time to my home network. I have been looking at the 1TB Time Capsule for quite some time (which got more attractive after the price cut) and have debated the pros/cons of purchasing one. I am debating between two setups, please provide an opinion if you would like to!

For the record I currently have a Linksys 'g' router.

Setup A

Time Capsule. I'd have the 'n' speeds, a 1TB HHD. I would also be able to use the USB outlet to make my printer wireless. To be honest, I have not printed much lately. I have a great HP photo printer I've used for awhile, plus the all in one I purchased with my MBP.

Price on Amazon $299

Setup B

This time I would go with the Airport Extreme. Same 'n' speeds and features. I would couple this with a 1.5GB external hard drive. The negative is I use up the USB port, and won't be able to connect a wireless printer.

Price on Amazon
    Here's the 1.5GB I have been looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Presti...04S/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Price: $133.99
    Airport Extreme Price: $179

Total: $312.99

And just a thought can you hook an external HD up to an airport express?

So I spend 13 dollars more in scenario B for 500 more GB of storage, which is awesome. But I won't be able to print wirelessly. Anyone have any experience with this as far as if a Airport + an external HD > Time Capsule?

2. Arn1499 macrumors member

If you get a powered (i.e. not bus powered) USB hub, you can hook both the printer and the external hd to the airport extreme. So the $13 for an extra 500 GB sounds good. You'd be able to use it for Time Machine backups and whatnot too if that's what you're going for

3. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Hi MICMAC247,

I assume you meant 1.5 TB, not GB...? ;)

Personally, I'd opt for the Time Capsule. In my experience, the signal is stronger than an Airport Extreme, plus you get the USB for a printer, and pretty easy Time Machine backups. I just took the leap into a 2TB Time Capsule, and am amazed at how much better my network signal is throughout the house (and it's a tough house to contend with).

Besides, external hard drives are absurdly affordable these days. If you really feel you need additional memory, check out OtherWorldComputing.com. I have "collected" three of the Mercury On The Go externals in varying sizes over the past few years and have always seen them as stellar investments.

4. MICMAC247 thread starter macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Haha yes I did, sorry about that, I had a flashback to 2001.

Thank you guys for the opinions. I will be using the storage space for time machine backups and additional file storage.

I also like the idea of the airport express for airtunes. But that's for a later time.

5. freepeacesweet macrumors member

freepeacesweet

I've been looking at the same drive on Amazon instead of the WD Mybooks i usually go for as it seems good value however the reviews on Apple Store put me off.

I got my time capsule cheap from Amazon for $199 for the 500GB model when they revised capacity and it's a very good device.

6. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

This may or may not be an issue in the future, but one surprise I didn’t expect with the Time Capsule was that it will only support two additional routers. For most folks, that’s not a big deal, but for me, it’s been a problem since the layout and construction of my house requires three routers to get a signal to both stories and from end to end.

Was able to get the two upstairs Airport Extremes on with TC, but...lost access to my Express, which means the stereo and Slingbox are now toast. Sadly, they’re part of the living room system which has no direct access to any of the Airports or TC. Major bummer.

7. MICMAC247 thread starter macrumors regular

MICMAC247

Thank you everyone for your input!

I ended up going with the Time Capsule. I ordered it off of Amazon for about $280. Looking forward to getting it an setting it up!

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I hadn't heard this. Is this different than the AEBS or is that spec the same on both?

9. EmeraldICE macrumors member

I just ordered my time capsule yesterday too :D
    They were sold out at all the retail stores near me.
    I can't wait to set it up with my printer, and I'm going to use the HD for a wireless iTunes library.