Airport Time Capsule help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Oct 30, 2013.

1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Hey!
    I purchased a Time Capsule to go with my MBP and wanted advice about the setup. The Time Capsule arrived before the MBP and I was able to set it up using my iPad and have connected wirelessly to it.

While considering the purchase, someone said I should call comcast/xfinity to disable the wireless feature on the modem provided by my cable company - it's an Arris Docsis 3 modem.

I did not do this after setting up time capsule and the speed was fine. Do I need to do this? Please let me know the best approach?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U should be able to disable the router feature on the modem anytime.

3. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Not on Comcast modems - this is something that's handled by their support staff. I'm reluctant to calling them because I don't want them to break anything.

Any drawback to leaving it as is?

4. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

yea leaving it on will hurt wifi performance on your airport

interference buddy

go into the aris router settings and disable wifi

it is a specific IP address you access from your browser if I recall correctly

----------

try http://192.168.0.1/

or

http://10.0.0.1/

5. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Is disabling wifi the same as bridge mode? That's another term I've heard.

Thanks for your help.

6. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

7. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

So what is bridge mode and why is it necessary to have my model put in bridge mode? Or is it not?

8. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

There should not be an issue with there being more than one wireless network in your house. However, the (potential) issue relates to which router will provide IP addresses to the computers on your network. If you have more than one router trying to provide IP addresses, you will have issues. In other words, if your Comcast is functioning as a router, and your Time Capsule is also functioning as a router, you need to do something.

Read this:

9. Domdog31 macrumors regular

relax, I have a fios router and the TC is connected on the 5 GHz channel and the fios router is connected on the 2.4 GHz channel. NO INTERFERENCE