Airport Time Capsule or a Different Hard Drive for Backup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HighTime, Dec 25, 2014.

1. HighTime macrumors member

Hello all,

Ordered an iMac which is en route, looking for a backup solution, what would you guys recommend? How good is the Time Capsule? Reliable? Or should I go for some other hard drive, if so, which one and why?

Thank you.

2. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

I've got an older 3TB version. Really easy to set up for Time Machine. My Macs are connected to gigabit Ethernet so the backups were speedy also. No real issues. Another good choice is a high capacity USB 3 external HDD directly connected to the iMac. I'd go that route if you only have one Mac.

How much data you need backed up and how many machines? What kind, just Time Machine? Photos?

3. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

I'll only have the one iMac, once it's delivered. Data to backup is not a lot, mostly inDesign files, but need to back up daily for sure. Thing with the Time Capsule is that it looks beautiful and is wireless too, but just that I heard things about it breaking down after two years or something, that's the only reason I'm thinking about an external hd even though I feel like getting the Time Capsule.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

My father is still using a 1st generation 500GB Time Capsule since day one, for what it's worth. Still works just fine.

5. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Cool, good to know, I think I'm gonna treat myself to a Time Capsule.

Thanks folks.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you get applecare , it will cover your time capsule!

once a week or whenever you feel like it, you can use airport utility ( comes with os x ) to backup your time capsule to an external hard disk , connected to the time capsule's usb port

7. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

I hear you, but the problem is I'm an expat working in the ME and there is no Apple Care here.

8. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

9. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Which one would you recommend so I can look to see if that kind of thing is available here?

10. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

I use lacie little big disk with time machine with my iMac.

11. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Just looked at it, that's out of my budget.

12. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

13. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate it, many thanks.

Off topic: How about synching docs between an iMac and a Mac laptop? If I were working on an Indesign/Word document on the laptop and then wanted to continue using it on the iMac, how is that done?

14. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

The Pages app can be an alternative to sync across your Macs and iDevices

15. mac8867 macrumors 6502

My suggestion is do both a hard drive backup and TimeCapsule.

Reasoning: A Carbon Copy, or SuperDuper backup is a true baseline backup. If you have a hard drive crash (yes, even an ssd), you can easily and quickly put your machine back up an running with this "cold" backup.

Time Machine, is reliable to a point, but in the end, it is simply incremental file backups, not a full system backup. You can recover your files from a point in time, which is great for those older files you want back. However, it will not restore your system on it's own. It gives you that intra-day security (or security between your full backups with Carbon Copy or SuperDuper).

You can easily do both with one external drive. Simply partition it, making the first partition the same size as your machines hard drive - this is where you would CC or SuperDuper. The remainder can be used for the TimeMachine.

16. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I use a 3 TB time Capsule with our family network - 1 IMAC and 3 MBP.

I also use online Idrive service

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That was an issue with the internal power supply on the older models, and it does not seem to be impacting the newer ones. I would not worry about that issue.

Let me ask you though... do you already have a good wifi router? The Time Capsule does work well, but you are essentially paying for a new router with a hard drive built in. Since your iMac is stationary, it is very easy just to attach a USB3 external drive and use that with Time Machine for backups. If you are in need of a new router, the Time Capsule might be a good fit for you since that would get you a new router and a backup drive all in one.

But if you have a good router now, I would just get a USB3 external drive like this or this.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've done full restores from Time Machine before. The entire OS. There are a few benefits to CC etc, but I have fully restored my OS from Time Machine.

19. andy9l macrumors 68000

Time Machine can restore your entire system to a freshly formatted drive in a matter of minutes. Trust me, I've been unfortunate enough to test it.

I formatted my SSD to do a clean install of Yosemite from a USB. The install failed. I was left with no OS on my Mac. Restored from Time Machine, and 40 minutes later I was back on Mavericks with everything as it was pre-screw-up.

20. robgendreau macrumors 68030

The problem is if either the router or hard drive become unusuable, or you want to upgrade either, you're stuck if you use the TC. I don't particularly like Apple routers, but it is decent for one of that speed. The big advantage is that TM works with it. Some other routers that you can attach USB 3 drives to claim TM compatibility, but you'd have to check.

If you don't need to back up over a LAN, then USB 3 is way faster. And more versatile. There are portables, caddies, and of course you can use it for faster video storage, TM or clone backups or both (a real advantange), for off site storage (with portable or caddy), etc.

21. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

A lot of helpful replies! Apologies for not responding earlier.

I've read all of your replies and have a clearer understanding of everything I need to take into consideration now, I have a few weeks before the iMac arrives so I can lull this one over for some days before I make my decision.

Thank you all for your input.

22. nsitaram macrumors newbie

Hi: I previously had a 1TB Time capsule which failed (electrical short) and I lost both the router and hard disk containing my backups. I now have an ASUS router and back up my IMAC directly using a 5TB seagate HD where I have 2 partitions -one for time machine backup and the second for storage. Seems to work for far. Good luck with your mulling...