Airport Time Capsule problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sparky2012, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I have the latest Time Capsule and every so often it significantly loses wifi speed over large distances, I'm talking every month or two. Connection strength stays the same though. When it loses wifi speed, other devices closer to the Time Capsule are unaffected. What could be the cause of this? I have several devices which connect to the Time Capsule: iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Mini, Apple TV 2nd gen. Mostly the iPhone 6 and iPad Air are in the room which I lose wifi speed on every so often so seems like a Time Capsule bug maybe? Anyone else get this problem?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This maybe due to a failing antenna. All antennas must be in good working order to get top throughput and range. Try a factory reset and see if the issue is rectified.

3. Sparky2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I'm thinking somehow the AC mode that the Time Capsule uses for the iPhone 6 is conflicting with long range performance. Is that possible?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. There is no "AC mode". Essentially, it is that the wireless hardware is capable of 1300 Mbps. A wireless N client can only do ~450 Mbps in a 3x3 configuration. An iPhone 6 connecting at 1300 Mbps and another client at 450 Mbps do not affect each other.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There wouldn't be any noise during the occasional performance outages, like a neighbor welding, a power tool, or a microwave running?

6. Sparky2012 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

No normally when this happens it is at night when I'm trying to use my iPad to watch TV shows, etc.

----------

Forgot to mention that the way I've found to fix the issue for another month or two is to restart the Time Capsule via the Airport Utility app.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure you are on 7.7.3 and try a factory reset.