Airport Time Capsule - Range/Wifi Repeater Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by irock101, Feb 25, 2016.

1. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Hey,

I have been using the Airport Time Capsule since it came out without any major issues. Now I moved to a new place and the signal is beyond weak. The router and capsule are in the middle of the condo.
    The bedroom to the left has an android box and the living room to the right has a mac mini.
    The mac mini gets speeds up to 100kb/s when I am lucky and the android box in the bedroom is not looking any better. The MacBook that's right next to the Capsule and connected via WIFI like all others gets the full 50mbit. Is there any setting I am missing or do I need to buy a wifi repeater? If so, whats a good one to get?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What is frequency (b,g,n, ac) are your devices can receive? Did you setup the Time Capsule correctly in a central position of your home?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have the Time Capsule in DHCP & NAT mode or bridge mode? Sometimes routers with the AirPort in bridge mode will improperly throttle devices depending on QoS settings.

4. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

I have set it up in DHCP & NAT mode, no bridge mode.

Tried it with a wifi extender today, extending from the airport extreme but that didn't work very well.
    Will try to connect the extender directly to the Cisco router and probably get rid of the airport extreme :(

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Start by doing a full factory reset on the AirPort then reconfiguring it.

6. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I don't think a Wi-Fi extender is the way to go here. I Would consider a powerline adaptor and connect an Airport Express if you want Wi-Fi at the other end.

7. Shamgar macrumors regular

If its in a condo, you are likely seeing a lot of interference from other networks and wireless devices. If that's the case, a wifi repeater won't help much. (Relatedly, does your modem serve a wireless network? You could try turning that off to reduce interference if so.)

I would make sure your Time Capsule is automatically selecting its wireless channels. The second thing I would look at is to specify a separate name for your 5Ghz network. The 5Ghz spectrum is usually less cluttered and a separate name will allow you to push your devices manually onto that network. Both of these options are available in Airport Utility under Wireless Options.

You can also use the wifi scanner built in to OS X to see what kind of wireless activity there is around you and see if this might actually be the problem.