AirPort Time Capsule Slow Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by badcitizen, Oct 14, 2014.

1. badcitizen, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

badcitizen macrumors newbie

I just upgraded from 100 Mbps to 1Gbps fiber internet and have a current generation 2 TB Time Capsule. With Wifi, I'm testing out about 300 Mbps at best (and 25 to 30 Mbps at worst at times--goes back up to 300 if I reset the time capsule or just wait awhile), but get > 900 Mbps with a direct ethernet connection. (The computer I'm using for speed testing is right next to the router.)

From what I can tell, the time capsule is supposed to support speeds up to 1.3 Gbps, so I don't know why it's so much slower with wifi than direct connection. Any thoughts/suggestions as to what might be causing the bottleneck?

Thanks

Edit:
    Nevermind, answered my own question. Didn't realize that my 2012 iMac has 802.11n wifi rather than a/c. That would explain it.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you option click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar, it will say a Transmit Rate. That is the fastest possible connection to the router due to the current conditions. Your speed tests will likely be less than that number due to overhead and interference.

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

If your iMac sits next to your router you should use ethernet cable anyway,
    Will be faster than even the best case 802.11 AC connection.