Airport/Time Capsule with USB Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrFrodo, Mar 10, 2010.

1. MrFrodo macrumors newbie

I just was at an Apple store and the guy there told me that at either Airport Extreme or Time Capsule only one USB device (HD or Printer) should be attached and that the option to connect more than one HD or a HD and a Printer through a USB-Hub does not work in a acceptable way. Is that true? Any experiences?

Background is that I wonder if I should buy a Time Capsule or a Airport Extreme with an external HD to do my backup.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My Time Capsule works with a USB hub hanging off the back of it. My external hard drive requires two USB ports (one for power and one for data) so the one provided on the TC was not that useful to me.

Im not sure how effective the TC USB port is if you want to connect a printer and hard drive.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The employee is wrong. The Airport Extreme works fine with USB hubs and multiple devices. It says so right on the Apple website.

I have a 7-port USB hub attached and routinely use 2 printers and 1 HDD. No problems at all. However, I don't use Time Machine, so I can't vouch for that working perfectly, but I can't see how it wouldn't as the AirDisk functions perfectly.