AirPort Time Capsule with VOIP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lmrook, Aug 22, 2014.

1. lmrook macrumors newbie

I purchased an AirPort Time Capsule because of the modem capability. The modem we have from the phone company isn't very good.

Now I have a little problem. I forgot we have our phone over internet and I cannot figure out how to set it all up.

Any ideas for my latest problem? I'd run back to the store/genius bar, but it's a ferry ride away and I'm not sure it would do any good to go back because all my phone "stuff" (cords, etc) wall jacks, is all here.

Current set up is this:

Modem box has ethernet (yellow) cable going from it to imac. It also has blue cable going from it to ATA Router (smaller black box). Each box (white larger "modem" box, and black smaller ATA Router) have a phone cord going from wall (2 separate jacks) to the box. And obviously each has it's own power cord.

I tried moving all plugs from white modem box to AP TC, but there really isn't a phone jack on back of APTC. It clicked in place in one of the <--> ports, but I'm getting a flashing amber light on the front, and no internet connection.

I know so much more about computers than I ever wanted to know, but it obviously isn't enough. :)

Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You cannot plug a telephone jack into an RJ-45 Ethernet jack. In my mind it should be modem --> Ethernet --> AirPort --> ATA Telephone equipment.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

I don't understand what you are trying to do. The Time Capsule has no modem capability, so scratch your first sentence.

As others stated, you won't be plugging your phones into it either.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think we got OP fixed up yesterday in another thread here

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Actually you can. My house is only wired with RJ-45, no RJ-11 anywhere. A male RJ-11 can plug in and use an RJ-45 port. It's all about what's connecting on the other side, a telephone distribution hub or an Ethernet network. Because the wiring is interchangeable, but the networks are not.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

For general purposes of this exercise, it is easier to say "no, telephone jacks (RJ-11) do not work in Ethernet ports". You are right, it will work as long as it is carrying network data across the lines and the crimping is the same on both ends.

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I disagree. That's ambiguous for the common user. It is easier and more informative to say, an RJ-11 jack WILL plug into an RJ-45 port. Just make sure it's the right service port, Ethernet network versus telephony network. Because RJ-45 can carry either.

In many cases, to a laymen an RJ-45 IS an Ethernet. So now he's left scratching his head, "well WTF am I am I supposed to do now with my RJ-11 cable? All I've got is Ethernet jacks in the house." It's best to clarify the difference between connection types versus network services to assist with troubleshooting.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A very good point.