Airport time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leopardlady, Jun 14, 2014.

1. leopardlady macrumors newbie

I have bought the above and have been told i can use it to strengthen or extend my network, as it will be better than my router. I have been told by apple tech help that I should connect it by ethernet to the router and set it up as a new network, but I'm not convinced that this will achieve this. Can anyone advise me on how I need to set it up to do this, please? I have a macbook air so cannot connect it to that but obviously could connect it to my router. Thank you.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Essentially, in order to create a roaming network with the Time Capsule and another router you must run an Ethernet cable out of the back of the router you own and plug it into the WAN port of the Time Capsule. You then set it up with the exact same network name, security, and password.

That being said, the Time Capsule is a great router! What router do you have now? There is a good chance that your Time Capsule is the better router than what you have now! Oh, and welcome to MacRumors!

3. leopardlady thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice and welcome. It's a technicolor tg582n router from plusnet.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Time Capsule is the better router and should replace the Technicolor. I am guessing that is your modem and you have an aDSL connection? If that is the case, simply call your ISP (provider for your Internet connection) and say you want it to be put into modem (bridge) mode. Then you will configure the Time Capsule for PPPoE. Alternatively, you could simply disable the wireless in the Technicolor and plug the Time Capsule into the back and use it in Bridge Mode.