Airport Time Machine and MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vix2000, Jul 21, 2013.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

I am located in the UK,

I have a late 2010 macbook air that is always at full capacity, so I have ordered a new model 2tb airport time capsule.

I am a bit confused as to the router properties, my broadband is with sky and I have a sky router (the latest one). In what capacity can I use the time capsule in conjunction with the sky router, or would it be totally separate?

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to automatically save stuff (files, photos, music etc.) to the time capsule instead of the macbook air hard drive?

Also is it possible to access these files over the internet if away from home?

Ideally, as well as backing up the MBA it would act as a hard-drive to stop the internal hard drive continually filling up.

All advice gratefully received.

2. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

Apparently you dont need a TC, return it and buy a NAS (synology).

3. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a linkstation live for general family usage, but have bought the time capsule specifically to use personally as storage for my macbook air.

4. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Any help on the best way to use this with a sky network, please?

5. Ifti macrumors 68000

Select the option to bridge it to your existing router - this way it will simply extend your wirless rather then replace your current router.

Yes, it will appear in finder like a normal drive. You can then use it for Time Machine backups, as well as just save any other files or data to it.

Yes, you need to set this up in the router (pretty much just a tick box) but may need to set the Sky router up to allow the correct ports to be open.

6. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular