AirPort TimeCapsule Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MD211, Mar 8, 2014.

1. MD211 macrumors newbie

I have just bought the 2TB AETC and connected it to my Netgear CG4500BD router. Everything works great so far but my late 2013 iMac gets 33.5 Mbs downloads and my late 2013 rMBP 13 inch only gets around 15. Both should have 811 ac and both were located next to each other for the test. I have researched and found some people mentioning to set the Netgear router to "bridge" mode which I do not see in this routers menu though. Could I have overlooked some settings on the rMBP? Should I even have to configure the rMBP to use the fastest speed?

2. mneblett macrumors 6502

Need more info --

Is the Netgear router wired to the TC by Ethernet cable?

Are the TC and the Netgear in the same location, or are you trying to use one to extend the wireless signal of the other? Setting the Netgear unit to bridge mode isn't a cure for what you've described so far.

If the latter, trying to use wireless to extend the network won't work because Apple routers only extend other Apple routers.

What specifically are you trying to do? setting up one router to serve the whole house? trying extend wireless to a part of the house that does not have good signal? Your objectives will define what you should do with the equipment.

From the little bit of info, it sounds like you have two wireless routers sending out signals at the same time. If they are co-located, one will interfere with the other. If you are not trying to extend your network, then only one router should be sending out wireless signals (the TC if you want 802.11ac).

3. MD211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply! My objective was to add the Time Capsule backup option to our network. Signal strength has not been an issue. As you already guessed, yes, both routers are next to each other. I can not find a setting in the Netgear routers menu though that would allow me to set it to "bridge" mode or such. I can not even find an option to turn off wifi.

4. ColdCase, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

To set the Netgear router to bridge mode, you deselect "Use Router as DHCP Server" in the LAN IP settings menu.

To disable wireless, you turn the radio off in the wireless setting menu/screen .

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

From what you describe, there does not seem to be any reason to keep the Netgear router in the network -- simply remove it (i.e., replace the Netgear with the Time Capsule) and see how the iMac and MBP backup speeds compare.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

^^ Good catch.

Depending on the ISP, it could take an hour for them to recognize the TC. Not always the case but be prepared to be patient.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP's Netgear CG4500BD is a combo cable modem and router so it needs to be there.

OP>> Are you on Cox Cable? To avoid this bridge issue and save the modem rental fee they are charging you, you might want to just buy your own DOCSIS 3 cable modem (without a router built in). There is an approved list here. From that list the Moto SB6141 is popular and you can get it on Amazon for $81. In eight months you will break even.

I did this on Time Warner and all it takes is a five minute phone call to give them the new modem's MAC address and it was activated.

If you don't want to go this route, bottom line is you will need to figure out how to get the Netgear into bridge mode or you can just put the TC in bridge mode.

There is really nothing to configure on the rMBP as long as you are sure you joined the correct wifi network.

8. MD211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the replies. I have deselected the option to use the Netgear modem as a DHCP Server and it works much better now. I am guessing it was the two signals interfering with each other that slowed my mbp down.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also remember to turn the wireless off.

10. mneblett macrumors 6502

Excellent catch on the combined modem/router.

Your suggestion to purchase a modem-only device is spot-on -- that is precisely what I did more than a year ago (with an SB6120 modem). Solid performance and saving a few $ every month.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Owning a modem is great rather than rentals.