Airport timed access not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gruff, Jan 21, 2009.

1. gruff macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme configured with as a WDS base station with two remote Airport Expresses and am trying to use the "Timed Access" feature on the base station to prevent my children from staying up all night on the web via iTouch.

However, although I have configured limited time and check the MAC addresses of the iTouches many times, the access does not appear to be prevented.

For one thing, does anyone know how the Extreme knows what time it is in any event - that doesn't seem to be configurable.

Or is it a problem with the fact that I ma using the Expresses as WDS remotes?

2. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can you not just turn the modem off when your kids go to bed? That cuts off the internet supply...

3. gruff thread starter macrumors newbie

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

i don't have an extreme, but an expresss.

in airport utility in Airport --> Base Station there is a checkbox for set time automatically, there is also a drop down list of time zones, maybe you just have the wrong time configured?

or just get one of these and put it in the hallway, and not let them have the iPods in the room at night.

5. gruff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, actually, I think the problem is that the WDS remotes are old expresses that don't seem to support Timed Access.

Re taking the iPods away - I see that, but my inner geek wants to find a technical solution

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

You could use a Linksys WRT54GL (or any other of supported routers) as your main router, and install DD-WRT on it.

It will let you block by MAC or IP, and time.

much more full featured than the airport bases. I've been using it for a couple years now with no problems.

7. matt3224 macrumors member

I have a cunning plan my lord.

My friend i have the answer in the mac timed access panel of airport utility set the "unlimited" bit to go off when your kids go to bed and then add you and your wife's computers and set them to allday everyday.

:apple: