Airport trouble - newbie to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrissmash, Aug 17, 2007.

1. chrissmash macrumors regular

Hey guys, if your reading this thanks for attempting to help me. Im a total newbie to the world of Mac, long time PC user but recently converted to the good guys. Ok heres the problem I seem to be getting the dreaded message from my MBP (which is new) "there was an error joining the AirPort network '*****'"

Heres some details that may help you if you know anything about it.

1) I have a netgear router at home and connected to it successfully twice previously.
    2) I went to a friends house and his router worked fine with my Airport.
    3) My sister got a Mac also and she accessed the internet fine this evening
    4) I had WPA security on the router and one night I checked both boxes beneath the login name and password (which could be the problem) where it talked about keychains? (im sure that means something to you) I did check my keychains through the applications/utility but this keychain was not there.
    5) I had considered..im not sure how to put this but restoring factory settings to the airport software, if that makes sense.
    6) I can access the internet through an ethernet cable and friends wireless.

If theres any info I have left out please say and Ill try to help you as best I can, any and all help recieved is very much apprectiated! Thank you very much in advance.

Chris

2. shwc macrumors regular

try this...

Make sure you know your networks name and password. Turn off your computer's wireless (i.e. your airport). Open System Preferences, "show" Airport, then "by default join" Preferred Networks. Delete all references to your network. Toggle the "by default join" back to automatic. Next launch the application Keychain (found in your Utilities folder). Select "all items" under "category." Delete any reference to your network.

Unplug your router. Unplug your modem (cable/dsl modem). Let both sit unpowered for 5-10 minutes. Plug back in your modem and let it go through its testing. After a couple of minutes, plug back in your router and give it time to acquir an IP#. After a couple of minutes, turn on your airport, find and log into your network.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Keychains is basically where your user name and password goes for various mac applications. If you opted to save your User Name (SSID) and password in the keychain you should be able to automatically connect to the interwebs.

Have you recently changed the password to the router?

Try removing the network (System Prefs -> Network -> Airport -> Hightlight your network name and click the - button).

After removing the network, go ahead and add it back to the list of preferred networks. (SSID or network name, password and type of encryption)

EDIT: Seems like I have been beaten to the punch. Oh well.... OP let us know what you did and how it went.

4. chrissmash thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for your replies, I attempted that you said but unfortunately I still get the enfuriating message, "there was an error connecting to network ***" If you have any other ideas it would be great help to me. I can connect to other routers but not this one but I can on another laptop. I think its a compatibility setting maybe like a channel difference of something?

thanks again!

5. chrissmash thread starter macrumors regular

Problem fixed! Thanks for all the help you gave me! It was fixed by upgrading the firmware on the router, thanks guys