Airport Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickvanr, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. rickvanr macrumors 68040


    Apr 10, 2002
    Hey, I've been using airport for a while now, and all of a sudden today, after getting my high-speed fixed my airport is working awfully. My MSN connection is dropping frequently, but that is most likely an MSN problem, but its also loading web pages very slowly, and downloads are crawling (under 2k/sec and eventually stopping) off of macupdate and When I plug straight into the modem it's fast, on airport it's slow.

    Any ideas would be helpful,

  2. ejtrowbridge macrumors newbie

    Apr 26, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

    Have you tried a system reboot? I have known this to work very well in most cases. Give it a try, and if it is still akward, I would talk to Apple.

    1.) Turn off ALL equipment (Cable Modem, Computer, Airport, Computer, ect), and unplug everything.

    2.) Leave it in this state for about 5 minutes.

    3.) Now, turn on your CABLE MODEM (or DSL MODEM) first! Very important! Let it boot for about 30 seconds.

    4.) Now, plug it into airport, and turn airport on. Let it boot for about 30 seconds.

    5.) Plug in, and turn on your remaining equipment.

    Give it a shot, it helped solved my problem with this before. It's very basic, but it's very helpful. Good luck!
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    there could be a lot of different things affecting this

    make sure your airport card is seated properly
    do you have any other 2.4ghz devices around that could be interfereing? microwave?
    reset your wireless router
    make sure airport software is up to date
    try turning airport off and then starting it back up again

    those are the few that i can think of right now
  4. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040


    Apr 10, 2002
    Those are all good suggestions, but things I had already checked, thanks for the ideas though.

    The reboot didn't work, and even restarting my basestation didn't. But the whole letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, giving it time, and turning on and plugging in one at a time in that order has seemed to remedy the problem.


Share This Page