Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shoreline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
I have a MacBook
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Version 10.5.8

There is a problem with my internet, when going to specific sites it just straight out won't connect. Although it does it more frequently for sites like Facebook it also does this in general. To fix the problem I normally need to turn off my airport and then turn it back on.

I know this is an issue with my computer and here is why.
1. It does this both on my home internet and school
2. It also does this when connected directly to the internet through an ethernet
3. It works immediately after I restart the airport from my computer

Thanks so much if anyone can help!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have a MacBook
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Version 10.5.8

There is a problem with my internet, when going to specific sites it just straight out won't connect. Although it does it more frequently for sites like Facebook it also does this in general. To fix the problem I normally need to turn off my airport and then turn it back on.

I know this is an issue with my computer and here is why.
1. It does this both on my home internet and school
2. It also does this when connected directly to the internet through an ethernet
3. It works immediately after I restart the airport from my computer

Thanks so much if anyone can help!

You have provided version numbers for your OS but not for the Airport. Apple makes several Airport products. The wifi in a Mac is called Airport. There is an Airport Extreme Base Station (router and wifi access point) and an Airport Express (print server, music server, or wifi extender). Which are you referring to?

If loading certain pages fails for both home and school internet, how do you fix it at school? When I run into issues of pages not loading, often they are caused by dns issues. Try setting your DNS to a third party dns (not your ISP or school DNS) and see if it solves the problem. One DNS provider you might want to look at is opendns. One thing that makes me think of DNS is that having bad data in the dns cache could be solved by restarting and you say everything works after restarting.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
yes probably DNS - it cannot be an Airport problem since you say that it is the same when it is connected by ethernet - but do you actually turn the Airport card off ?

Shoreline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
No I just turned the airport off, I'm unsure of how to turn off the actual card.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.