Airport Turning itself off after 10.5.7 Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr Strangelove, May 15, 2009.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

The only fix I can find for this is to reboot the Macbook Pro and then it will work again for a few minutes before turning itself off. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

2. delude macrumors 6502

Mine seems to take ages to connect after waking my MBP from sleep, like up to a minute! It's turned off a couple of times but after leaving it for a while it worked again. Weird.

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Any help would certainly be appreciated. I tried doing a search with no luck

4. le sacre macrumors regular

airport traffic problem

mine isn't exactly shutting off, nor is it slow to come up after waking (actually seems faster there). however, there is an annoying problem that's new with 10.5.7 for me: every so often (sometimes every couple minutes, sometimes with a longer delay), my connection stops carrying data. now i'm keeping ping going in the background, and it will just suddenly stop (with no trigger that i've noticed), despite still having full-strength connection to the network (i've tried it with two separate networks).

the instant, 100% effective workaround is clicking on the airport menu: as it rescans for networks, the traffic suddenly starts up again like normal. i find this intriguing, because through the whole time, the connection isn't dropping or switching to a new network, and console shows no messages at any point.

also intriguing is that the issue improved after i reset my PRAM (right after the update the connection broke every 2-3 minutes nonstop). now it's much improved, but it still happens. not sure how to address this.

5. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

I am about to head to the Apple store if I cannot get this sorted out in the next day or two.

6. OldNeXTGuy macrumors newbie

Did You Solve This?

I appear to be having the same problem. I just got my Macbook Pro back after being (supposedly) repaired by Apple, and the problem returned within 24 hours.:mad:

Did you ever solve the issue?

7. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Yes had to go back twice but we finally replaced my airport card and all has been well since then

8. OldNeXTGuy macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks. I have another appointment tomorrow. They had my laptop for 7 days total. If they didn't actually replace the airport card, I'm going to be pretty PO'd.

9. glitterlust macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I think it started a month or two ago (don't recall exactly when I upgraded to 10.5.7). The airport icon on the right of the menu bar will suddenly go blank(/off), and when I go to cut it back on, nothing happens. The only thing that I can do is restart. I think that movement might be a trigger; it never happens when the unit is flat on a desk. When its mobile or sitting on an uneven surface (my lap, the bed, etc), however, it's just a matter of time, which is a bummer since I frequently move from room to room.

Front what I've read about the issue on this and other sites, I'm worried that this might be hardware related (though...if movement has something to do with it going off, wouldn't it come back on sometimes with further movement?). I don't have applecare and am outside the warranty. If anyone has any further thoughts about a cause and/or solution, they would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

10. MiladyDeWinter macrumors newbie

did you get anywhere with this? my Air has just started doing this, although not reliably so!