Airport turns itself off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smudge01, Sep 18, 2007.

1. smudge01 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm a recent convert to the iMac. It's been seemless and painfree except for 1 thing. When I come out of sleep my mac finds my wireless net and I can browse the web fine. If I stop browsing though for say 10 minutes, the airport drops the wireless connection and I have to select the network from the available list even though its configured as my preferred network.

It's almost like it's dropping the network for some sort of power save type feature...

Any help greatly received as it's a bit annoying to have to keep turning it on - and there's no "I said on dammit" button.... that I can find anyway :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If your machine is logging out then you might have the option turned on in the Network pane of System Preferences that disconnects your AirPort when logging out. :)

3. smudge01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that easy

No it's when I stop browsing - give it 10 - 15 mins and it turns off. So when I stop writing my document and go back to the web I get an error and have to re-enable the connection to the wireless access point.

Very odd

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What brand of router do you have? Are there other machines on the network? :)

5. smudge01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Belkin

Belkin router - does't drop an connections on PC's - Just the Mac. No issue's when it's running. Just turns off when not in use but needs to manually be re connected

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

a few peeps have had wireless trouble with the 10.4.10 update. i connect to a modem-router-wireless point with my MBP and works fine. you will probably have to used wired ethernet until leopard or something

7. tam5070 macrumors newbie

Wifi

I had a similar problem and after trying every software fix I could, turned out it was a bad airport card. They slowly begin to fail and degrade until they become undetectable by the system. Take it to a service center for replacement if you're under apple care or order one and do it yourself.