Airport USB drives shows as FAT32?!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2fives, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 2fives macrumors regular

I'm having issues :(

I have a Airport Extreme and a 500gig USB hooked up to it. I long formatted the 500gig in OSX journaled before I even had the airport.

Now in Windows it shows up as fat 32. I also can't copy a couple large 3gig files to it through the network from a windows box. Do all the airport drives show up as fat 32 from a PC?? Should I reformat the drive in NTFS. Will I satill be able to write to it from my macbook if I did format it in NTFS??

What a hassle this is just to copy a couple friggen files.

I also did some research and thought it coulde be a duplex problem, but on my PC's wireless Linksys card there is no option for duplex settings. So I dunno :confused::confused::mad::mad:

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

If by OSX journal formatted, you mean HFS+ journaled... then unless your PC has some sort of utility to read and write to HFS+, you shouldn't be able to do either on your drive. I don't know why it's showing up as FAT32, but if you don't have such a utility, I would highly recommend not attempting to read or write to and from that drive from your PC.

As for formatting NTFS. If you do that, you will be able to read and not write to the drive unless, again, you find a utility that will do so for you. I'm pretty sure some exist. Check into MacFUSE and NTFS-3G. I've never used either, but I think they may be useful to you.

Hope this helps.

3. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Airport Extreme disks are listed as FAT32 via some odd hack so that you can write to them in Windows. There's really no way to copy a large file to them without making it so you can't write to them easily in OSX...

4. 2fives thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry...yah I meant HFS+ journaled. I also have Macdrive 7 on my PC's.

But it seems like no matter what it shows up as Fat32 like knolly said. Also it seems to be just a thats the way it is type thing that you can't copy large files (like much over a gig) to the airport USB drive.

Whether I try through the wireless or on my PC that is hard wired to the airport Windows Explorer just takes a dump. So that kinda blows. :(

So I guess just don't archive really large files to the airport USB, and trying to serve hi-def video off a airport USB drive would not work due to bandwidth issues any ways even if you got the file on there. So......what ever I suppose. :cool:

Thanks for the input guys.